Tuesday, September 2, 2014

August book list

Hello Lovelies!

The first of the month has come and passed (whoops!), so here's my monthly book roundup!


Lovely Complex by Aya Kanno

I'm now on volume five of the series, and still having just as much fun reading them, in this volume Risa and her gang go on a trip into the city, and Risa is trying to screw up her courage to tell Otani how she feels, but it's going to be a rocky road for sure!

Magnificent Vibration by Rick Springfield

Just by reading the description, I knew I was in for a pretty strange book, but I think underestimated the weirdness of this one. Bobby has just been kicked out the house by his ex-girlfriend and is feeling like the world is out to get him. A self-help book mysteriously falls into his life (well actually he steals it from a book shop, but that sounds nicer doesn't it?), and it has a 1-800 number scrawled on the inside cover, which he calls, because why not right? He discovers he has a direct line to the big guy upstairs, who surprisingly sounds more like a bitter teenager than the hellfire and brimstone he was expecting. And yes somehow it gets stranger, he encounters a nun, a giant, and ends up meeting Nessie, or rather what he thinks is Nessie. I rather enjoyed this, although I think the author could of have dialed back the crude humor, which was about 75% of the book.

Vixen by Jillian Larkin

Vixen bounces between the POV's of Clara, Gloria, and Lorraine, and is set in the flapper scene of the roaring twenties. I love books set in the 20's, and this didn't disappoint! Clara had fallen into a shady crowd of bootleggers, flappers, and mafia owned speakeasies, and is trying to become (or at least pretend to), the goody-two shoes farm girl she used to be and help her cousin Gloria with her upcoming wedding. But Gloria is determined to become a fabulous flapper, along with Lorraine who is tired of hiding in Gloria's shadow and who wants her own piece of the action. It's a thrilling balancing act, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series!

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

If you've been reading my weekly wrap ups, you'll know how long I've been reading this thing. It's not that it was difficult or tiring to read, I just kept putting it down and getting distracted by other books! The Grapes of Wrath is set during the dust bowl migration of the great depression, and chronicles the lives of the Joad family. When I did get around to sitting down with the book, I really enjoyed it, and I honestly I wasn't expecting to, just because I usually don't enjoy the classics nearly as much as my newer books. And I think I learned way more about the Dust Bowl from this than anything else I've read!

Reckless by Julia Funke

Jacob has been going through his deceased father's mirror into another world for years, he's a treasure hunter who tracks down pieces for the wealthy of the other world. He has gingerbread from witches houses, Rapunzel hairs, a shape-shifting fox as a companion, and a little brother, William, who's never gone through the mirror. But that changes one day, and he brings a girl with him. William gets cursed by a fairy, and is slowly changing into something else, and Clara, the girl, and Jacob must save him. I didn't notice the brothers names until halfway through the book (duh), so maybe they're the Grimm brothers, or some distant relation of them? I love fairytale re-tellings, and this put some new darker spins on some of my favorite fairytales.

Thanks for reading, and tell me below if you want to read any of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment