Tuesday, June 3, 2014

May book list

Hello Lovelies!

I love telling you guys what I'm reading in my weekly wrap ups so I've decided to start doing posts at the end of every month re-capping all the books I've read in the previous month! I'll link to the Goodreads page for each book so you can find out more about them if you want to.

 

I actually listened to the audio book version of this, I'd leave it running while browsing blogs and it works out pretty slick for me! I didn't love this, but it wasn't terrible either, Austen's books tend to be a little dull for my taste.

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
This was the first book I'd read by Kurt Vonnegut and I enjoyed it thoroughly, his writing style is actually very witty even though he's writing about such a dark topic. Crash Course on YouTube did a two part video course on the books a couple of weeks ago that really helped me to understand the background of the book and when it was written, if you're planning on reading it, give them a watch!

Unnatural Creatures edited by Neil Gaiman
This is a collection of short stories edited by Neil Gaiman, but don't worry he has one in there too! Short story collections usually elicit mixed opinions from me, I'll zip through a couple that I really enjoy and then have to slog through a less exciting tale to get back to the good stuff. But that certainly wasn't the case with this book, I wholeheartedly loved each and every story in this. From cartographer wasps to sentient ink blots, this collection has you covered!

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler
Now this one has a bit of a complicated story as to how I ended up reading it, I've always been a fan of Lemony Snicket's books (aka Daniel Handler), and I recently found out he had also written some books under his real name. I looked up a couple, reserved them from the library, and promptly forgot about them. I was watching a It'sWayPastMyBedtime video a while ago and she very strongly recommended Why We Broke Up and absolutely raved about it, so I picked it up to read. I thought I recognized the author, looked him up, and found out, "Hey it's that Lemony Snicket guy!" Anyways it's a fantastic book, and surprisingly has a lot of pictures in it!

Reflections on the Magic of Writing by Dianna Wynne Jones
Dianna Wynne Jones is one of my favorite authors, I found her work after reading the book that the Studio Ghibli movie Howl's Moving Castle was based on. This is a collection of speeches, essays, short stories, and stories from her childhood. She had a fantastic way of looking at writing and getting through any problems you could possibly come across, even though I haven't done much writing myself, I found it very helpful!

Canary in a Cat House by Kurt Vonnegut
I picked this up shortly after reading Slaughter House Five, it's a collection of short stories. They all have a strange almost twilight-zone feel to them, and they've aged wonderfully! I don't really have much to say about this one, but you should give it a try!

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
This is the sequel to Daughter of Smoke and Bone, which I read a couple of months ago. This is a wonderful fantasy novel set in the Czech Republic about a girl caught in a war between angels and beasts in different dimensions. I can't say much about this without spoiling the first book, but it's a wonderful sequel and I'm looking forward to reading the next one asap! And it's 500 plus pages which made me happy :)

Thanks for reading!




1 comment:

  1. Brilliant post, I'm definitely going to check out some of the books you mentioned here :)

    ReplyDelete