Friday, June 20, 2014

DIY summer lip balm tutorial

Hello Lovelies!

I get chapped lips all the time so I'm always applying and re-applying chapstick throughout the day, and I've yet to find a lip balm that's moisturizing and a pretty shade so I decided to go ahead and make some myself!


I made two pots of lipgloss with some old lipstick I hadn't touched in ages, I used L.A Colors charmed and Wet n Wild 514A, I think the WnW had a name but they didn't put it on the tube so I couldn't find it.


I started by putting about an 1/8 of teaspoon of lipstick in a saucepan with about 3 tablespoons of petroleum jelly. Your measurements don't have to be precise at all with this, so if you want the color to be stronger just add more lipstick or use less jelly. I used petroleum jelly with cocoa butter which gave my lip balm a nice scent but you can also just use the plain kind.


I heated this up on low and used a toothpick to swirl it around and get everything mixed up thoroughly, this melts very very fast, less than thirty seconds, so don't leave it alone on the stove!


After I got everything melted I poured the mixture into some plastic tubs, I had an old mini body butter tub from B&BW's and for the other batch I used a travel container.


Then I just popped them in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up the mixture, and Voila! This is great if you need a specific shade of gloss to layer on top of a lipstick, or if you have a lipstick that's just a bit too bright for you but you still like the color.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment