Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Princess Mononoke Kodama nails

Hi girls!

I have to admit Princess Mononoke isn't one of my favorite Studio Ghibli movies, but I loved the little forest spirit creatures that led Ashitaka and San through the forests of their world. I looked them up and apparently they're called Kodama which is a spirit from Japanese folklore.
I  picked up the manga version of the movie so I could look at the artwork up close, but that doesn't seem to have helped me much!
I can't figure out how I couldn't do something simple like these little guys, but I'm able to paint decent faces that have tons of details!


I started with a base of a light green polish and then I lightly sponged a dark jewel toned green over the top to give it more of a leafy/mossy look. I also added a very light coat of a sheer shimmery green polish to smooth everything out before I started on the kodama. I used a striping tool to paint the white of their bodies first and then outlined everything in black and added the details of the arms and legs. I used a dotting tool for the eyes and mouths, I used the same green I sponged with since the mouths and eyes are really just holes going through their entire head.



Polishes I used:

NYC extra shiny topcoat,
China Glaze def defying,
Rimmel London 60 seconds camouflage,
L.A colors color craze current,
Sally Hansen Insta-Dry jumpin' jade,
Wet n wild wild shine French white tip,
Wet n wild fast dry ebony hates chris,
a dotting tool,
and a striping tool.

Thanks for reading <3

1 comment:

  1. I love Princess Mononoke! I have to admit the little bobblehead guys scare me though, haha. I think these look great -- I love the one on your index finger!

    ReplyDelete